In week 5, we turned our eyes and our treasure hunt on ourselves, because it was time for this year’s Wellington Way! Wellington Way is our annual stewardship celebration, where we look at the future goals of our community and promise to share our gifts of volunteer time and financial support. This annual day of reflection and planning is vital to helping us follow our core value of being a community of equality and mutual accountability within the Lakeview neighborhood.
At this year’s Wellington Way, we came together for brunch in the basement and then to talk together about how our different ministry areas and our priorities plans meet up. Our strategic priorities, or the areas in which Wellington will focus its collective energy over the next three to five years are:
- COMMUNITY BUILDING: develop structures and activities that help us deepen our connectedness and care for one another (caring groups, small groups, mission groups, etc.)
- COMMUNICATION: expand our capacity to effectively use technology and social media to further our mission (develop an overall strategy, address staffing, etc.)
- YOUTH: focus our collective work and resources to support justice, hope and healing for youth (LGBTQ, immigrants, homeless, etc.)
- YASC: host the first Midwest UCC Young Adult Service Community (YASC) to strengthen/deepen our neighborhood partnerships and contribute to theological formation of young leaders
- WORSHIP: increase the variety of worship experiences at Wellington (youth-led, meditation, yoga, Taizé, different times of the week, etc.)
Our conversations during Wellington Way helped us dream together what we envision the next few years will be for our community, and we covenanted together to work toward realizing that dream.
For those who missed out on Wellington Way, you can still make your pledge of time and talent for 2015. Click here to download the 2015 Pledge card, and fill out the different ways you can make a difference in the life of Wellington this year. After you have filled it out, you can bring it to church and put it in the collection plate, or send it to the church office at 615 W. Wellington, Chicago, IL 60657. Thank YOU for being a supporter of Wellington Avenue UCC! And enjoy some of these pictures of the day below!